Can Cardboard be Use as Liner for a Raised Garden Bed?
The short answer is: yes. This an excellent way to recycle and/or repurpose cardboard boxes, if you happen to be building a raised bed and have a few cardboard boxes saved up and available.
With that said, here are a few quick pointers:
- Clearing the bottom of the raised garden bed of as much vegetation as possible.
- Cover the entire bottom, no gaps, of the raised bed
- Overlap up the sides of the garden bed for 6 inches, or more is recommended.
- Use, at least two, layers, but three or four would be better.
- Avoid boxes with plastic or other coatings.
The benefit of this repurposing cardboard boxes like this are:
- The cardboard boxes will provide a barrier for any vegetation you may have missed when you cleared the bottom of the bed.
- The cardboard will allow water to pass through.
- The cardboard is biodegradable and will amend the soil.
- The cardboard is free.
- Last but not least, the cardboard does not end up in the local landfill.