This recipe was popular with my daughter when she was young and she even asked me for the recipe once she graduated from law school.
I make this almost homemade mac & cheese in a couple of variations.
The Basic Recipe
This is the basic variation, which my daughter loved when she was young and is primarily addressing up with the basic recipe to improve the taste. My daughter never liked the straight-out-of-the-box mac & cheese very much, but she loved this recipe.
- start with one basic package of mac & cheese 7 to 8 ounces
- cook according to package instructions
- after straining the pasta
- 3 ounces of sharp cheddar
- A tablespoon of grated three cheese (Parmesan, Romano, and Asiago)
Please note that some of the variations below tend to be more popular with adults than with children.
Variation One – for adults.
- add a pinch of black pepper (optional).
- add two or three drops of hot sauce (optional)
- garnish with some chopped green onions (optional)
- add one cup fresh shelled or frozen peas, while hot, and stir in gently. I, usually, gently rinse my frozen peas in a colander for a minute or two before adding.
- add half a cup to a cup of matchstick carrots to the pasta water for heating, bring water to a boil and allow carrots to tenderize some, then add pasta and follow basic package was
- Almost Homemade – Cream of Celery Soup
- Almost Homemade – Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Almost Homemade – Yellow Rice With Broccoli
- Almost Homemade – Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Almost Homemade – Dirty Rice
- Almost Homemade – Chipotle Ranch Pasta Salad
- What is the Almost Homemade cooking strategy?
- Almost Homemade – White Bread
- Almost Homemade – Golden Bread
- Almost Homemade – Party Meatballs