This is a quick, easy, way to make a cream of asparagus soup taste and feel more home. Great for those weeknights when you need something on the table quick, which is both tasty and nutritious. This approach has the advantage of being super easy. While I have made this soup from my pantry stocks, if you happen to have an equivalent amount of fresh or frozen, steamed, asparagus available, it works just as well. This soup makes an excellent meal starter or a nice side dish.
- 1 packet (approximately 2 ounces) of your favorite cream of asparagus soup mix
- 1, 15 ounce can of asparagus or about 2 cups of fresh steamed asparagus
- 15 ounces of milk. (Note: I use whole milk for the nutrition)
- 15 ounces of your favorite chicken broth (Note: I use unsalted because most soup mixes already contain a lot of salt)
- Open and drain canned asparagus — keep can ( I use the can as a measuring cup to save on dishes to wash)
- Put asparagus in the blender
- Fill asparagus can with milk and add to blender
- Fill asparagus can with chicken broth and add to blender
- Add asparagus soup mix to blender
- Pulse blend, until contents are moderately smooth and no large chunks remain
- Pour into a saucepan (Note: I use a 2.5-quart saucepan)
- Heat on low to medium-low, until hot. Let simmer for about 5 minutes; no strong boiling required.
- Serve hot.