This is a really handy way to use up a small quantity of leftover pumpkin, winter squash, or sweet potato. As it happens, this approach also increases the fiber and nutrition of the standard white bread recipe a smidgen.
In this example of almost homemade bread, I start with a standard white bread mix for a bread machine, but you could use something else, like Hawaiian bread mix, and it should work fine.
The idea here is to use up some leftover vegetables/fruit in a way which others will eat it, definitely, not attempting to duplicate the taste or texture of the classic pumpkin or sweet potato quick bread. You certainly can intentionally cook a small pumpkin, winter squash, and/or sweet potato and use this approach, as well.
This recipe intentionally named to obfuscate the fact that you are using pumpkin and/or sweet potato. Otherwise, you inevitably get the ‘I like the other style of pumpkin bread’ statement. Actually, the finished loaf just tastes like bread, not pumpkin.
To use this approach, simply, adds some unseasoned and unsweetened, cooked, mashed, pumpkin and/or sweet potato (steamed or baked is fine) according to you loaf size; no additional seasoning is required.
Pumpkin and/or Sweet Potato Quantity by Loaf Size
1 Pound Loaf
1 ½ pound Loaf
2 Pound Loaf
Pumpkin and/or Sweet Potato
|1/3 cup||2/3 cup||¾ cup|
You may make other substitutions and/or other ingredients as well if you are careful. As a matter of fact, the picture above has seeds added for a bit of crunch.
Load Your Bread Machine
- Generally, this is done adding the liquids first, followed by the dry ingredients, and yeast last. Following this order keeps the yeast separate from the liquid ingredients until the kneading cycle begins. However, you may check your owner’s manual and use the order recommended specifically for your machine.
Bread Machine Cook Cycle
- Set your bread machine for a for the appropriate loaf size, crust darkness, white bread setting, and start the baking process. The basic or white bread cycle, typically, takes 3 to 4 hours and intended for use with many simple bread recipes.
- Almost Homemade – Cream of Celery Soup
- Almost Homemade Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Almost Homemade – Yellow Rice With Broccoli
- Almost Homemade – Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Almost Homemade – Dirty Rice
- Almost Homemade – Mac and Cheese
- Almost Homemade – Chipotle Ranch Pasta Salad
- What is the Almost Homemade cooking strategy?
- Almost Homemade – White Bread
- Almost Homemade – Party Meatballs