Jammy Scones Recipe
Your tea is not complete without a scone. Scones got their origin from Scottish quick-bread; they are traditionally served with jam or cream. Its role has become of great importance in today’s world.
What is a scone?
Scones are delicious biscuit-like pastries that are easy and simple to make. Not only are they easy to prepare, but the ingredients are also affordable and easily sourced.
What is wonderful about this flavor?
Without beating around the bush, Jammy scones are the best scones you will ever eat because they are not as dry as other scones.
|All-purpose flour||2 ½ cups||320g|
|Baking powder||1 tablespoon||14g|
|Chilled butter, cut into small piece||6 tablespoons||90g|
|Granulated Sugar||½ cup||100g|
|Almond extract||¼ teaspoon||¼ teaspoon|
|Vanilla||½ teaspoon||½ teaspoon|
|Shortening (for topping)||1 teaspoon||1 teaspoon|
|Chocolate chips (for topping)||¼ cup||44g|
|Raspberry Jam (for filling)||½ cup||163g|
|Heavy cream||To taste|
- Preheat oven to 220/200 degrees C and prepare your baking sheet.
- Put the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl or food processor and mix.
- Using a pastry cutter, two knives or your fingertips, add butter to the mixture and stir until it becomes crumbly.
- Crack an egg in a measuring glass and add cream until it reaches ¾ cup. Add the vanilla and almond extracts, whisk with a fork until the mixture is well blended.
- Put a hole in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the liquid mixture. Using a fork, toss gently until the liquid is well distributed and the mixture begins to form a dough. Knead the dough about 10 times or until it comes together with no crumbs.
- Roll the dough into 1inch balls and place about 2inch apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Make a small punch in each scone using a wooden spoon or your thumb. Be careful not to make a hole through to the bottom.
- Cool off the scones for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Once they are cooled-off and firm, fill each scone’s cavity with a spoonful of jam. Do not overfill them.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until they become lightly brown.
- Leave the scones to cool for few minutes before removing them from the baking sheet.
- For topping: places chocolate chips and shortening in a bowl and heat in a microwave stirring it at 10 seconds intervals until it becomes smooth. Use a fork and drizzle over the scones.
When you pour the egg/cream mixture in the flour mixture and as you mix, the dough may seem to dry but do not add more liquid.
Cooking Tips for scones
- If you need the scones to be sweeter, increase the sugar to ¾ cup.
- These scones taste great on the first day but become moister and denser from day two.
Serving scones with
These scones can be served with tea, coffee, honey, etc.
How to store in the freezer?
Allow to cool off and wrap with tin foil or put them in a container and store in the freezer.
How to thaw and reheat?
Remove from the container or tin foil and heat in the oven for about 5 to 8 minutes.