Lasagna is both a kind of pasta and a dish made with that pasta. Lasagna is long, flat, wide noodles which are ideal for layering in a baking dish to make a pasta casserole, which can contain a variety of meats and vegetables.
A lasagna can be pre-assembled without being cooked, enabling the cook to set the lasagna aside and cook it later, when ready. Pre-assembling lasagna can be a useful technique in the culinary armory in a clamoring family since a cook can pre-assembled two lasagnas, cook and serve one, and set aside for another day or cook both and refrigerate or freeze for later use.
There are different lasagna recipes used throughout the world since this Italian dish has been adopted by multiple nations. These recipes incorporate trading layers of lasagna with different sauces, cheeses, and distinctive fixings., but this is one of my favorite recipes.
Lasagna Body Ingredients
|Red lentils||½ cup||125 grams|
|Olive oil||2 teaspoons||5 grams|
|Garlic, finely minced||Two or three cloves|
|Medium onion, diced||1|
|zucchini, diced small||2|
|celery stalk, finely sliced||1|
|Two chopped tomatoes||30 oz||850 grams|
|Tomato puree or paste||2 teaspoons||9.86 milliliters|
|Dried oregano||1 teaspoons||4.93 milliliters|
|Ricotta cheese or Greek yogurt||12 oz||350 grams|
|Sheets of lasagna||12|
|Mozzarella cheese, grated||½ cup||60 grams|
|Lite broth or water||1 ½ cup||375 ml|
White Sauce Ingredients
|Ground Nutmeg or Apple Pie Spice||½ teaspoon||4 grams|
|Corn starch||1/3 cup (1½ oz)||40 gram|
|Whole Milk||3 cups (26 fl oz)||750 ml|
|10 x 10 x 2||12 cups||3 liter|
- Soak the lentils in boiling water for at least 30 minutes, then drain them.
- At the same time, in a frying pan, heat the oil and add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- After onion begins to brown, add celery, and zucchini and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Now in a saucepan, add lentils, tomato puree, tomatoes, and water. Bring to a boil, then turn off and let soak for at least 30 minutes, until lentils are just tender. Do not overcook lentils, or you will have mush.
- Prepare the white sauce, in a pot, mix the Cornstarch (cornflour) with two tablespoons of stir until it turns into a smooth blend. After that pour in the remaining milk in the pan and mix and cook on medium-low until mixture starts to bubble and thickens. Then add nutmeg and season with pepper and further cook for 5 minutes.
- Preheat over to 180 C, 350 F, Gas 4.
- Take half of the white sauce and beat ricotta cheese into it.
- Spread a third of the lentils on the base of the dish.
- Cover with a layer of lasagna sheets.
- Spread another third of the lentils blend over the pasta
- Spread the white sauce ricotta cheese blend evenly on top.
- Add another layer of lasagna
- Add remaining lentils.
- Pour the white sauce evenly on the top
- Sprinkle ground Grated Mozzarella on the white sauce.
- Bake for an hour
- If the top starts to darken too much protect it with a loose aluminum foil cover
- This mouth-watering dish serves 6
How best to serve the dish?
- Lasagna is best served hot and usually with a garlic bread side.
How to store
If stored as soon as cool enough to handle safely, Lasagna can be refrigerated 3 to 5 days. If properly wrapped in freezer paper or aluminum foil Lasagna will keep for about 18 months.