The old-fashioned Butter cakes are a contemporary standard recognized for its signatory constituents of butter or margarine, in combination with a leavening agent and are a type of sponge cake. The Old-fashioned butter cake recipe below is an easy cake recipe that is perfect to learn or make for the upcoming holidays, or you can decide to make it for a weeknight dessert but unique enough to cook for guests! You would love this old-fashioned butter cake recipe as it might someday be your favorite go-to dessert!
Ingredients needed to make Butter Cake
The ingredients required to make a delicious butter cake are listed below. You can also add or remove a few things from the list depending on your individual preference. The needed ingredients include the following:
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Two sticks (total of 225g) unsalted butter,
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons fresh milk or yogurt
- 7 oz. (200g) plain flour/all-purpose flour
- 7 oz. (200g) castor sugar
Directions to making Butter Cake
Below are the instructions to follow in making an old-fashioned butter cake. If you are learning how to make an excellent old-fashioned butter cake for the coming holidays, you might as well learn and take note of these directions listed below carefully:
- First and foremost, Heat up the oven to 375°F.
- Gently grease the baking pan (i.e., 8×8, 9×9, loaf pan, or mini loaf pan) with some butter.
- Add the flour and baking powder together in a bowl and mix. After mixing, sieve the mixture and return it to the bowl.
- Add a little salt to the mixture in the bowl and mix well.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar until it forms a pale-yellow blend. You can use an electronic beater if you have one.
- While stirring, break the eggs and add to mixture until the whole mixture becomes creamy.
- Always scrape down fragments of the mixture on the sides of the bowl while mixing, to allow for even mixing.
- Put in the vanilla essence into the mixture and stir. Add the flour and baking powder mixture and stir.
- Finally, add in the milk/yogurt to the mixture and stir as well. Pour the final mixture into the already greased baking pan.
- Distribute the cake mixture across the baking pan evenly with a spatula before placing it in the oven.
- Bake until you got that golden-brown color and cooked about 45 minutes. Remove the butter cake from the oven and allow to cool for another 5 minutes.
- Your butter cake is ready and can be served warm.
Original recipe yields one cake, approximately, 8 – 10 servings. You can always make more by increasing the recipe for butter cake.
How best to serve Butter Cake?
Butter cake is best served warm. You can also serve butter cake with vanilla ice cream from the top.
How to store Butter Cake
To make the most of the shelf life of butter cake, cover the cake with foil or plastic wrap to avoid drying out.
How long can Butter cake be stored?
Correctly stored, freshly baked butter cake would only last for about a day to 2 at normal room temperature.
Butter cakes are always welcomed and are a great option for the upcoming holidays. You can start now to learn how to make them for beginners or learn to perfect the steps as a professional. By doing this, you can always be a step ahead regarding preparations for the coming holidays by learning new recipes.