Nothing tastes better than having a soaring slice of sumptuous sponge cake with friends and family as a sweet holiday treat. Whether it is jam-packed with fluffy whipped cream and distributed with fruit or simple with a subtle sprinkling of icing, a straightforward sponge cake recipe can go a long way in making you those inspiring tastes. Sponge cakes are very easy to make, but using the right procedure and a keen devotion to detail is quite essential. But if you desire to make a sponge cake that stretches goes the extra mile, below are some easy ways to make a delicious sponge cake with a lasting taste.
Ingredients needed to make a sponge cake
The ingredients essential to making an enjoyable sponge cake are listed below. You can also make additions or get rid of a few things from the list depending on your preference. The required ingredients are:
- 2 medium eggs
- 125g/4oz butter or margarine softened
- 125g/4oz caster sugar
- 125g/4oz self-rising flour
Directions needed to make a sponge cake
Below are the guidelines to follow in making a sumptuous sponge cake. The steps are quite easy for sponge cakes; you might as well learn and take note of these directions listed below carefully for the coming holidays:
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Take two cake tins and line with baking parchment.
- Cream the butter and the sugar in a bowl until they turn pale. You can make use of an electric hand mixer if you have one.
- Beat in the eggs, sift over the flour and fold in using a big metal spoon.
- The whole mixture should have a falling constancy; if it is not, pour a little milk.
- Put the mixture into the two cake tins and mildly spread it out with a spatula.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes ending when an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow the sponge cake to stand for few minutes before you turn it onto a wire rack to cool.
- Your sponge cake is ready to be enjoyed just on its own and can be served warm.
The recipe makes 1 serving. By increasing the recipe, more servings can be achieved.
How best to serve a sponge cake?
A sponge cake is best served with berries, jam, lemon curd, whipped cream or just a dusting of icing sugar.
How to store a sponge cake
Use greaseproof paper to cover your sponge cake and store in a cake tin. Avoid using a plastic container as mold may arise over time and foil is a no-no except you cover first with greaseproof. Store sponge cakes in a cool, dry place.
How long can a sponge cake be stored?
Sponge cakes can be stored at room temperature for roughly a week. And up to 2 months if freeze for longer storage periods.
Sponge cakes are always a welcome treat, and once you have grasped the art of the classic sponge cake, you can move on to other cake types without looking back. The best bit is that you now know how to make delicious sponge cakes that would make everybody feel good after a bite.
- Cakes, a Cook’s Primer
- How Many Slices Are in A Cake
- Sponge Cake Recipe
- Stollen Cake Recipe
- Butter Cake recipe
- What is Cheesecake?
- Lemon Icebox Cheesecake Recipe
- Naked Cheesecake Recipe
- New York Classic Cheesecake Recipe
- Almost Homemade – Golden Bread
- Almost Homemade – White Bread
- What is the Almost Homemade cooking strategy?