Here is a very basic way to cook green beans. It would difficult to find a much simpler recipe for fresh green beans.
- 12 ounces trimmed fresh green beans
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- Wash green beans gently in cool water
- Prune the tips from both ends
- Place green beans in a large skillet; pour in 1/4 cup water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. As soon as the water comes to a boil, cover pan and cook 3 minutes.
- Uncover pan and stir in butter.
- Cook until water evaporates (about 1 minute) and green beans are tender but firm.
- Sprinkle beans with salt and pepper.
- Serves 4 (serving size: about 1/2 cup)
How To Serve
- Best served as a side dish to your main course