Cherry pie may well be my favorite type of pie, there is something about the combination of sweet and tart which appeals to my taste buds. And in the early summer, when cherries are in season, what better way to take advantage of the abundance of this fruit. I have very fond memories of family cherry trees in our neighborhood, which metaphorically produce tons of cherries every summer or, perhaps, given the number of trees in our neighborhood when I was growing up, not so metaphorically.
Cherry pie ingredients
- Butter 150 gr (5 oz)
- Eggs 2 pieces (only yolks)
- Sugar 200 gr (7oz) (100 gr in the dough and 100 gr in the jam)
- Vanilla sugar 10 gr (1\2 oz)
- Lemon juice 1 tsp.
- Salt pinch (1/8 tsp.)
- Flour 250 gr 8 oz(1/2 lb. )
- Cherry 200 gr (7 oz)
- Cinnamon 1 tsp. (optional)
- Cornstarch 1 tsp.
Cherry pie cooking directions
- Let’s the pie crust; to do this, we mix sugar lemon juice and butter
Note: the butter must be very soft, before use; so, remove it from the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature (About 1.5-2 hours).
- Add the yolks and mix together
- Add flour to the butter mixture and knead the dough with your hands.
- When thoroughly mixed (do not overwork), wrap the dough in food film and put in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- To make the cherry filling, put fresh cherries (without cherrystones) and sugar put in a saucepan.
- Boil and after boiling add starch (mixed in a small amount of cold water) and cinnamon,
- Bring back to a slow simmer and cook until thickened.
- Take the dough from the refrigerator and spread the dough evenly it into the pie pan sides and bottom. I used the 16 cm pie pan.
- The add the filling and bake 40-45 min. 190 C\375F\4 gas mark.