I found this recipe in one of my old cookbooks from the 1940s and it makes a quick and easy side when the weather is cool in the fall and winter. Especially, when you need to put a side dish on the table for a holiday celebration like Thanksgiving or Christmas. This can be a really easy side dish to make, if you take advantage of the shortcut method and replace the grating stage with matchstick carrots which simplifies the process and saves time.
Buttery Baked Carrots Ingredients
- 2 lbs. Fresh Carrots
- ½ cup Maple Blended Syrup
- ½ cup Butter or Margarine, Melted
- ½ tsp. Salt (Optional)
- ½ Pepper (Optional)
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon (Optional)
Buttery Baked Carrots Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Wash, peel and coarsely grate 2 lbs. fresh carrots, to measure 8 cups.
- Place grated carrots in a 2 1/2- to 3 qt. Casserole pa
- Add maple syrup
- Add melted butter or margarine
- Add salt, pepper, and cinnamon.
- Toss gently until thoroughly coated
- Place in oven to bake, covered
- Use a pair of tongs to stir after about 15 minutes.
- Return to oven for final 15 minutes, until carrots are tender
- Stir before serving.
Buttery Baked Carrots Servings
- Serves 6 to 8.
Buttery Baked Carrots Notes
- Turnips, rutabaga or parsnips provide ideal alternates to the carrots in this delicious recipe
- As a shortcut, the grated carrots can be replaced with matchstick carrots, which is a serious time saver.