Cherry filled scones are a nice family friendly dessert during the summer months when cherries are abundant. One of these and a nice glass of ice tea or cold milk on a restful weekend or evening, what more can you ask for?
- To make this a year round recipe or to short the jam making ingredients and process replace the cherry commercial or homemade cherry pie filling, Jams, jellies, marmalade, or preserves.
- For variety, this approach can be used with other fruits and berries, like strawberries, blackberries, currants, raspberries, texas persimmons…etc.
Cherry Filled Scones Ingredients
- Flour – 220 gr (7 oz)
- 1 large or Jumbo Egg
- Sugar – 60 gr (2 oz)
- Baking powder – 1.5 teaspoons
- Kefir – 100 ml (3 fl. oz) or 3/4 cup of plain yogurt thinned with 1/4 cup milk
- Butter or shortening – 50 gr (1.5 oz)
Cherry Filling Ingredients
- 1 cup pitted tart cherries
- 1/4 cup white sugar or honey
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 118 ml (1/2 cup) cold heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or Cherry Liqueur liquors
Cherry Filled Scones Directions
Make the Scones
- Preheat oven to 210C\425F\5 gas mark
- Take a very cold butter and flour.
- Mix the butter and flour to make a little crumbs. (I used a food processor, if you do this with your hands, then do it quickly so that the butter does not melt)
- In a bowl, combine kefir, egg, and sugar and mix until Smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the flour and butter and knead the dough.
- Roll out dough until 2 centimeters thick and cut the circles (the shape of the scones can be any, but traditionally round)
- Bake at 210C\425F\5 gas mark until lightly brown and cook though, about 15 min
Make Cherry Filling
- To prepare the jam, put cherries, sugar, and starch in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil it until thickened
- Remove from heat and let cool
Make Whipped Cream
- Chill mixer bowl and whisk in freezer for at least 15 minutes to chill.
- Pour heavy whipping cream, sugar and flavoring into the cold bowl and whisk on high speed until medium to stiff peaks form, about 1 minute.
How to Serve Cherry Filled Scones
- Slice in half horizontally (about 90% of the way) to make a clam shell
- Fill evenly cherry jam and whipped cream
- Bon appetite
- Makes 8 servings
- A Home Cook’s Biscuit Primer
- A Basic Plain Biscuits Recipe
- Angel Biscuit Recipe
- Strawberry Biscuit Recipe