There’s nothing more comforting than the flavors of good old-fashioned cottage pie. This recipe, however, allows you to enjoy those same flavors, guilt-free. Made with low-carb cauliflower pureé, lean turkey and plenty of nutritious vegetables, you can cut the calories but still enjoy this hearty dinner entrée.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley + extra for garnish
- 2 1/2 cup vegetable broth, separated
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/8 cup butter, softened
- Low fat shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste\
- Prepare ingredients and set the oven to 400°F.
- Chop carrots, onion, parsley, and mince garlic. Cut cauliflower into florets and set aside.
- Heat a bit of oil in a large saucepan. Add carrots and onions and cook until onions are translucent. Add garlic, peas, and meat and stir until meat is browned. Stir in chopped parsley and Italian seasoning.
- Add flour and mix into meat mixture. Then pour in 1 cup vegetable broth. Cook on medium/low until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Spoon mixture into your pie pan or baking dish then set aside.
- Add the rest of the broth (1 ½ cups) to a pot and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower then boil again. Let simmer on medium/low for 10 minutes or until cauliflower is softened.
- With a slotted spoon, remove cauliflower from the pot and add to a food processor with butter and 3 tbsp of excess broth water. Pulse until combined and add salt to taste.
- Spoon cauliflower puree over meat mixture to create an even top layer. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and edges turn golden.
- Sprinkle with extra parsley and serve warm!