To quickly perform a minimal work trim of fresh green beans which you wish to use whole. For example as a quick skillet fried side or for oven roasting. Then:
- Wash the green beans with cool water and pat dry with a towel
- Organize the green beans into safely manageable bunches
- One bunch at a time, stack beans on a cutting board with the tough stem ends all on one side
- Gently, press and hold the green beans with your finger as and or palm
- Using a chef’s knife, vegetable knife or cleaver, make one vertical cut, about 1/8 inch from the stem end of the beans, to remove stems
The skinny, tapered tips are tender and completely edible. So, they don’t necessarily need to be removed. If you wish to remove the opposite tapered end, simply, align the tapered end of the beans and perform a similar cut.