This is one of my all-time favorite pastries for pies. The combination of egg and lemon juice makes this pastry flavorful, tender, and flaky. This lemon pastry works with a variety of pies like custards, chicken, herb and vegetable pies.
- Makes enough pastry for one double-crust pie
Lemon Pastry Ingredients
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, in 1/2 inch slices
- 1 egg
- 2 lightly beaten teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 to 5 tablespoons of ice water
LEMON PASTRY Directions
- Stir the flour and salt together.
- Cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- With a fork, stir the egg, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of the ice water together.
- Sprinkle the liquid over the four mixture and mix just until the pastry holds together, adding more water if needed.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for two or three strokes-just until the dough makes a smooth ball.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes or until firm, and use as directed in recipes.