My Fit Foods, which has since closed their doors permanently, introduced me to this dish. Marine Corps Mash was a favorite of mine, so I once made a copycat version of the dish, which I found on my computer today and thought I would post before I lose it. Admittedly, this recipe is less spicy than the My Fit Foods version, but I like it, so, I hope you will as well.
Mario’s Marine Corps Mash Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup canned kidney or black beans, rinsed (optional)
- 1/2 sweet onion, minced (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- ½ cup diced fresh tomato (Optional)
- Pepper to taste
- shredded cheese
- diced fresh tomato
Mario’s Marine Corps Mash Directions
- Cook quinoa according to directions on the package.
- Over a medium-high heated skillet, add cooking oil, garlic, and onion.
- Cook them, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to turn translucent (about approximately 3 minutes).
- Add ground turkey and remaining mash ingredients (except cooked quinoa) and cook for about 10 minutes until turkey is well done.
- Once is mash is cooked, add in the rinsed kidney beans, cooked quinoa, and fresh tomato stir thoroughly.
- Add optional topping and garnish, if desired.
- If you intend to reheat and serving later, then the following changes are suggested:
- Treat tomato as an optional topping (and cheese) and add to the dish after it has been reheated.
- Divide the prepared mash into its four serving and place in a vented reheatable contains. Once chilled close vents.
- Place in refrigerator and do not stack until thoroughly chilled.
- The mash will be food-safe for about three days if stored in this way, so, you don’t want to prepare too much at one time.
- The beans have been listed as optional in the ingredients, because some folks don’t like beans much, but they do add volume, flavor, color, and vegetable protein to the mash.
- Makes about four servings