Pumpkin pie spice is always a useful thing to have around the house, especially in the fall when pumpkin and winter squash are cheat and abundant. Or if you are like me and simply like to eat a pumpkin pie or pumpkin custard most any time of the year. However, I find making your Pumpkin spice is best because you can adjust your spice volume to meet your taste and dietary needs. Ginger something gives people trouble with heartburn and I find that orange zest gives the spice blend and nice citrus edge which appeals to many. Here is a basic Pumpkin spice recipe, but feel free to experiment with it to best accommodate your family’s tastes.
Pumpkin Pie Spice Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground clove
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger or ground dehydrated orange zest
- 2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp ground cinnamon
Pumpkin Pie Spice Directions
- Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl whisk together thoroughly.
- Pour the pumpkin pie spice into an airtight container
- store the sealed pumpkin pie spice container in a cool dry place.
- The pumpkin pie spice should be used within 6 months for best results.
- I use my coffee bean grinder to make the ground orange zest, which works fine if you start with either purchased or home make dried orange zest. however, you do want to make sure that all the orange zest is finely ground without large bits, so, it will distru=bute evenly in your recipe.