Skip to content
Mashed Potatoes Ingredients
- Salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/2 cup whole milk, evaporated/condensed or
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1-ounces cream cheese, Greek yogurt, yogurt
cheese, or sour cream (optional)
- Ground white pepper (optional)
Mashed Potatoes Equipment Needed
- 3-quart or larger saucepan
- Wooden spoon
Mashed Potatoes Directions
Warm Dairy to room temperature.
- Set the dairy for the recipe out to warm to room
temperature, about an hour ahead of time.
Bring water to a boil.
- Fill a medium saucepan ¾ full of water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
Cut the potatoes.
- While the water is heating, peel the potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then in
- Then cut the potato quarters smaller sections. The smaller the potato chunks are going into
the water, the fast they will cook, and they will be to mash later.
- Add the cut potatoes to the boiling water, add
additional water if necessary, to cover potatoes, and simmer until they are
falling-apart tender about 15 to 20 minutes.
Drain and mash the potatoes.
- When the
potatoes are soft, drain the potatoes completely.
- Return the potatoes to the pan.
- Add the butter and mash the potatoes.
- Turn pan to medium heat, stirring the potatoes
rapidly continuously until the butter is melted and thoroughly combined.
Add the dairy and season.
- Once the butter is melted and thoroughly
combined, When any remaining water has evaporated, add the dairy components.
- Turn the pot to medium-low and keep stirring.
- Cooking until the potatoes are thoroughly combined
- Remove the potatoes from the burner and turn off
- Add pepper and salt, if desired.
- Serve the potatoes in a ramekin or small dish
and garnish, if desired.
- Makes two individual servings
- If you want to dress the potatoes up a little,
you can add a little cheese on top and microwave (assuming you are using a
microwave dish) for a few seconds to melt the cheese.