I’ve been seeing the usual fall selection of pumpkins and winter squash in the market for a couple of weeksnow, so, I thought it might be nice to put them to some use. Here is a quick and easy way to have some fresh pumpkin or winter squash (Butternut, Hubbard, Tan Cheese…etc.) to use for breakfast.
- Oatmeal – 50 gr (1.8 ounces or 5/8 cup)
- Pumpkin – 70 gr (1/2 cup)
- Milk -250 ml (1 cup)
- Pinch of cinnamon – 1/8 teaspoon
- Vanilla sugar -1 teaspoon
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Butter – 1 tablespoon
- In a saucepan combine milk, honey, butter, cinnamon, vanilla sugar, and bring to a simmer on medium-low heat.
- Grate pumpkin with a coarse grater.
- When the milk with spices starts to simmer, add the pumpkin, and stir gently.
- When milk with pumpkin starts to simmer again, add oatmeal, and slow simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let the oatmeal to infuse for a few 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Makes one serving