Lemon Meringue Pie seems to say summer because of Lemon Meringue’s yellow sunshine color and white cloud meringue. Lemon Meringue is easy to love.
Here’s a lemon meringue pie recipe which is quick and easy. Starting with a lemon bar mix simplifies the recipe and gives it the lemon flavor, while eggs and sugar make the lemon meringue pie taste rich and fresh.
- 1 18 – 19.5 oz package Lemon Bar Mix with lemon filling mix and crust
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Lemon Pie directions
- Press complete pouch of crust mix firmly into bottom and sides of a lightly greased 9-inch pie or tart pan or 8×8-inch square pan.
- Bake 8 minutes, until crust is light brown.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk full pouch lemon filling mix, water, and eggs together until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour over warm crust.
- Bake 22-26 additional minutes or until center does not jiggle when shaken and top begins to brown.
- With an electric mixer whip cream of tartar and egg whites on medium until froth appears.
- Then, gradually add sugar, about a teaspoon, at a time while continuing whipping at high speed, until stiff glossy peaks start to form –be careful not overbeat your meringue.
- Spread over the baked pie. Be sure to carefully seal meringue to edge of the pie crust. If desired, use the back of a spoon to make swirls and peaks in the meringue.
- Return new topped pie to the oven
- bake the pie an additional 10-15 minutes until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack, until the pie reaches room temperature
- Slice, plate and serve.
• Makes 1 pie or 6 to 8 slice