This is another recipe from my handwritten 1950s collection and is a companion recipe to my previous post lemon ice. This also seems to be a very appropriate recipe summertime unlike lemon ice is very simple to create.
Ingredients for Orange ice
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
Directions for Orange ice
- Make a syrup of 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar
- Boil water and sugar 5 minutes
- Add 2 cups orange juice, orange rind, and ¼ cup lemon juice, and stir
- Cool and strain to remove lemon rind
- Pour the mixture in a tray or pan and freeze
- Stir the mixture with a fork to break up the formation of ice and repeat every thirty minutes for the next three to four hours.
- 3 pints ice
How to serve Orange ice
- Serve in chilled sherbet glasses serve as dessert.