Strawberry Breakfast Sauce
This is a quick and easy strawberry sauce to start the day with a little extra flavor. You may prepare the strawberries the night before and store in a sealed them in an airtight container overnight to expedite preparation in the morning.
|Ingredient||US measure||Metric measure|
|1 cup unsweetened apple juice||1 cup||25 mL|
|1 cup cleaned and sliced raw strawberries||1 cup||25 mL|
|1 teaspoon cornstarch||1 teaspoon||5 mL|
|1 teaspoon red grape, beet, raspberry, blackberry, or pomegranate for color (optional)||1 teaspoon||5 mL|
- Pour the juice into a blender
- add 1/2 cup of the strawberries
- Pulse in blender until smooth
- Pour into a saucepan
- Add the cornstarch and stir until well mixed.
- Cook on medium-low heat (a little lower than medium or 5 on most stoves), stirring until thickened.
- Add the remaining strawberries
- Heat through and serve
- Makes 4, ½ cup servings
How best to serve the dish?
- This sauce is best served warm
- This makes a nice topper for pancakes, waffles, biscuits, muffins, yogurt, cake, and Cheesecake
- When used as a topper on yogurt or cheesecake you may want to top the items and chill the sauce before serving