Australian style meat pies have a long history and are a welcome sight on most any table. These meat pies are a hearty and flavorful main dish, which require minimal effort to make.
Australian Meat Pie For Two Ingredients
1 sheet frozen puff pastry 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
1 sheet frozen shortcrust pastry 1 sheet frozen shortcrust pastry
½ lb. sirloin steak, cut into small cube 226 gr sirloin steak
2 cloves garlic, chopped 2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp tomato paste 1 tbsp tomato paste
1 sprig fresh rosemary 1 sprig fresh rosemary
¼ cup red cooking wine 60 ml red cooking wine
½ cup beef stock 118 ml beef stock
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Pinch of salt Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper Pinch of pepper
oil for frying oil for frying
1 egg yolk, beaten 1 egg yolk, beaten
Australian Meat Pie For Two Directions
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Heat oil in a saucepan and sauté garlic for a few minutes until they are a little brown, add the cubed steak and brown for 4-6 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, rosemary, beef stock, red wine, Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the shortcrust pastry on the floured working surface. Cut the pastry slightly larger than the pie base. Place the shortcrust pastry inside the greased 6” x 8” pie dish.
- Place the puff pastry on the working surface. Cut the puff pastry the same size as the pie dish top. This will be the ‘lid’ of your pie dish
- Fill the pie with the cooked steaks, cover the top with the puff pastry. Using your fingers, gently press the edges to seal. Cut the excess dough and brush the puff pastry with egg yolk
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- This recipe makes two servings